star wars or star trek

foremost a star wars fan and i dont mean just to the movies but also the books wich i have read pretty much every single one of them.

But im also a star trek fan.

not gonna go into wich one is better that is pretty much suicide in this forum ;)

Know you understand why i have a star wars avatar :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh! Star Trek of course!

Reasons:

1. Star Wars characters are corny. (...And I ain't just talking about Jar Jar either!)

2. Star Wars is set in the past and "far far away," and hence has nothing to do with us earth-folk. Star Trek is all about the possibilities of HUMANITY.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but you get the idea. In conclusion, F*** Star Wars! (That probably was uncalled for, but oh well....)

;)

Star Wars has nothing to do with the possiblities of humanity!?

hmmm, aside from it explores all of the human emotions, both good and bad. Why, despite all of our good intentions, our actions can lead to suffering and pain of others. From dangers of arrogance and pride to triumph of inviduals working together to achieve a common goal.

Also Star Wars is based on myths and cultures of all civillisations, not just western interpretations.

To call Star Wars Sci-fi is extremely narrow minded. Sure it has all of the trapping, spaceships guns and robots, etc. However, when strip away the gloss it's legends and stories that we have telling each other for thousands of years. Why do you think it begins with 'Long ago in a galaxy far far away...' Don't recognize it? Ever heard a story that begins 'Once upon a time in a kingdom...'

I enjoy Star Trek, but I think Star Wars is something completely different and the two can only ever be compared on superificial details at best.

A final point, because Star Wars is based on mythic archetypes, it more accessible to the general public and that is why on a whole it is more popular to non sci-fi fans any why it more established in pop culture.

OK Pella, I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate your comments. I just have been very cheesed off by Star Wars' recent nonsense (I am, of course, referring to crap like Atack of the Clones, Phantom Menace, and the god aweful Clone Wars). So, I took my anger out by saying "F*** Star Wars!" My mistake. Star Wars was pretty good, and you do make some fine points.

Non probs. There are things I can't stand about Star Wars too - The bulk of the EU for example.

One quote I found that I thought was quite funny:

'Star Wars [Episode4] is all about a boy living in the desert, who runs away with a wanted criminal to join a terrorist organisation and ends the film by blowing up a military installation that belongs to the legitimate government - the truth from a certain point of view.'

I enjoy Star Trek, but I think Star Wars is something completely different and the two can only ever be compared on superificial details at best.

A final point, because Star Wars is based on mythic archetypes, it more accessible to the general public and that is why on a whole it is more popular to non sci-fi fans any why it more established in pop culture.

I sort of agree with you on these points, but you have to keep in mind that this is a sci-fi forum and that StarWars is as much fantasy as it is sci-fi. Not that fantasy is bad, I liked Lord of the Rings for example, even read the books.

And sure it can reflect on humanity, just as any other fantasy story can. But it does not at all have to potential of reflecting a true future for humanity. And you'll have to admit StarTrek does have this. I guess that is what this thread is all about. People (including me) like the idea that they are watching a future version of themselves so to speak... Well, anyhow I guess you can understand what I'm trying to say even though it is not perfectly formulated. :rolleyes:

I agree with what you're saying that Star Trek (certainly from the federation point of view) reflects what we'd like to see as the future for ourselves.

Human being with no greed, no need for money, tolerance is the way of things and bigotry (in all forms) virually extinct. Who wouldn't want to live in that kind of utopia.

I think that is probably the real difference between the two. Star Wars despite being set in the 'past' is a reflection of society in the 20th century and today, where as Star Trek represents the dreams of humanity's future.

Myself I prefer to live in the now, because the future is based on the the changes we make here.

I voted Star Wars but Anarkin in ep 2 and that god awful ep 1 have me right there on the border .I used to be a dedicated Star Wars fan too . I liked Star Trek but then they hit us with about 10 spin offs all at once and kind of wore down its appeal as well

but as a dedicated sci fi fan I admit that they both had an influence on me

The first Star Wars movie is the best movie ever greated, but i voted star trek anyway. I'ts shows a very realistic future, and it's very entertaining. Still I'm going to the cinema on the 19th.

star wars better music...nawww all star wars had was mostly the imperial march. Star Trek film music is just as good.

Lets not forget that Lucas had a boat load of money to throw into theses films.

Not sure what the star trek films cost but i know its a fraction of what stars wars had. I cant actually say I would sit there and watch them again now apart from the revenge of the sith.

I liked Trek first and will love it until the day I pass on, but I see no reason to trash one over the other. When Star Wars came out in 77, I saw it 25 times that year.

I was in the book store the other day and was looking at some trek stuff when a guy I had seen around at work came over to say hello. He was a Star Wars fan and thought it was one or the other. It bothered me that he had to be that way.

It doesn't have to be that way nor do I need to put down someone who likes one over the other. I like both, I like Battlestar, Blake's 7, Doctor who, B5, X-Files, and a crap load of other shows as well. When it comes to Science Fiction, Trek will always be my favorite, but IDIC still lives on. There is room for it all.

All I have to say is one word "Light Saber" The coolest of the cool. Look no further cause it don't get any better. The whole premise of the JediKnight order is really cool too.

I mean I really don't know which one is the best, if I had to choose which universe to live in....I don't know thats a hard question. The Federation Starships are realy awesome.

But if your going to compare movies, let us not forget that horrible scene in V: the final frontier where kirk spock and McCoy are all a singin row your boat...what the hell is that...and don't even get me started on the whale thing.....

In Star Trek y'know how many times can you save the world, lets be real.

At least Star Wars is about one big Galactic struggle , and not about ..ohh Luke please save the earth...AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN

Lets face it if I really had to choose I'd say......

Startrek is far superior in my eyes as the technology is more believable as it is explainded better and distances and speeds are measured in a way we can understand. I like the whole way that it is based on earthlings, and ll ties in together.

Star Wars is a good set of films but you cannot beat StarTrek.

My vote, Red Dwarf :D! .. hehe no really though.

If I had to make a choice, I’d pick Star Wars, but it’s really more of a %51-%49 kind of thing, Star trek has many, many episodes, and in a way it chronicles the generation gap pretty well, however .. Voyager, and DS9 kind of let the series down (DS9 More then Voyager .. But Voyager got kind of stale/far fetched to me.) while Enterprise is more like TOS, it’s lacking in a few elements, it’s trying to take it’s self a little too seriously in my opinion. And there are the Star Trek movies, I pretty much only enjoyed the even numbered ones .. I know that’s a little harsh but it’s true, it seemed like all the odds just didn’t have much appeal to me. I know they have to stretch to keep the series “Fresh†but I liked it better when it was an hour to tell a story then move on, like in TNG/TOS.

Star Wars lacks realism.. I mean, yeah it obviously lacks realism, but the first... or second trilogy depending on how you want to look at it .. .. Okay, the old Star Wars I liked because they skip all the deep stuff and simply try to tell a story, about a boy and his father ... :3 The new Star Wars, really .. doesn’t appeal to me. It’s too hip and “newâ€ÂÂ. It’s like it’s saying “Look I can be Star Wars too!†.. “I have More explosions, More Graphics, More Comedy, More light sabers .. MORE YODA, I’m so Star Wars!†All in all I think I like the technology set just a bit better, Huge lumbering capital ships squaring off while nibble fighters take the battle in close, that’s cool to me :3

.. Which also explains my like of Battle Star Galactica, and Wing Commander.. Not to mention Star Fox (For the SNES ) :3

All in all, I like em both about the same, but I grew up on Star Wars .. Now I’m sure I’ll probably get a Blaster bolt for this one .. unless, some one puts a Wrath of Kahn maggot in my helmet first :stare:

My vote, Red Dwarf :D! .. hehe no really though.

If I had to make a choice, I’d pick Star Wars, but it’s really more of a %51-%49 kind of thing, Star trek has many, many episodes, and in a way it chronicles the generation gap pretty well, however .. Voyager, and DS9 kind of let the series down (DS9 More then Voyager .. But Voyager got kind of stale/far fetched to me.) while Enterprise is more like TOS, it’s lacking in a few elements, it’s trying to take it’s self a little too seriously in my opinion. And there are the Star Trek movies, I pretty much only enjoyed the even numbered ones .. I know that’s a little harsh but it’s true, it seemed like all the odds just didn’t have much appeal to me. I know they have to stretch to keep the series “Fresh†but I liked it better when it was an hour to tell a story then move on, like in TNG/TOS.

Star Wars lacks realism.. I mean, yeah it obviously lacks realism, but the first... or second trilogy depending on how you want to look at it .. .. Okay, the old Star Wars I liked because they skip all the deep stuff and simply try to tell a story, about a boy and his father ... :3 The new Star Wars, really .. doesn’t appeal to me. It’s too hip and “newâ€ÂÂ. It’s like it’s saying “Look I can be Star Wars too!†.. “I have More explosions, More Graphics, More Comedy, More light sabers .. MORE YODA, I’m so Star Wars!†All in all I think I like the technology set just a bit better, Huge lumbering capital ships squaring off while nibble fighters take the battle in close, that’s cool to me :3

.. Which also explains my like of Battle Star Galactica, and Wing Commander.. Not to mention Star Fox (For the SNES ) :3

All in all, I like em both about the same, but I grew up on Star Wars .. Now I’m sure I’ll probably get a Blaster bolt for this one .. unless, some one puts a Wrath of Kahn maggot in my helmet first :stare:

Some would disagree with you saying that about DS9, after the first three seasons it really got good, not to mention the character deleopment was alot better

I don't understand, I presume all the comparisons, to be totally fair are comparing the feature films of each.

Now who the hell can tell me that that from those few Trek films you can pickout all this ammunition for comparison, all the Trek supporters seem to go on about plus points that have become apparent through days of footage.

I'm sure some Trekkie on here could tell me the total running time in hours of Trek, now compare them to the running time of Wars that you are comparing to.

Lastly just for a point of reference, try and clear your minds of Trek, Wars etc then just imagine a fair comparison of the Star Wars Trilogy to Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Search For Spock...... no brainer really.

p.s. If I unfairly included the footage from TNG and Voyager, SW wouldn't get a look in.