Morality question

Guest c4evap

Guest c4evap

Let's say you purchase something over the net. You pay by credit card but then decide (for whatever reason) you no longer want/need the item. So, you cancel the order and your money is credited back to your card. A few days later the order shows up in the mail. You check your credit card again and sure enough the money was credited back to you. You wait a few days but do not get an email about the mistake. In fact, you hear nothing more about it.

What would you do now? Keep the item? Or contact the seller?

...jus wonderin'...

c4 :thinking:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morally: Keep it.

Practically: Contact the seller.

I've no moral problem with this, those daft enough not to notice such things deserve to be scammed, but sadly there could be a reasonable amount of hassle.

Guest c4evap

OK. Well maybe this might make a difference in your answers (and BTW I am NOT looking for justification - jus wonderin')...

The item is Star Trek Voyager - Complete Collection - Seasons 1 through 7 - brand new mint.

Keep it.

If they never bill you for it, ok. If they do, you can always return it. Though this process requires you keep it in it's packaging and such for a while to see if they do infact bill you.

Morally, while I'm sure all the workers/actors etc get some royalities off dvd's, it's not paying their rent every month. The cost to produce dvd's is neglible, a blank dvd is like 5 cents to produce an entire stack of them. Add in how they probably just have a template/macro system that burns all the dvds systematically and such then man hours devoted to making it are small as well. Probably the thing that costs the most is package design, which itself should also be a very small portion of a price.

You figure a single season costs, lets go with the typical $120. Out of that $120 it costs them like $5, maybe $10 to produce the season, ship it etc After retailer costs and distrobution they are easily pulling in $50-80 in profit per season dvd.

They aren't hurting for the money.

Guest c4evap

Plus - it's the Asian version. So it's not even manufactured in this country (USA). And the person was overly snotty when I canceled the order. Neither of which should be considered as justification I know.

Yeah, it's still sitting on the floor, unopened, pristine....while I wrestle with my conscience. A few years ago there wouldn't have been any question. It would have been sent back immediately. Am I growing less honest the older I get???

Guest c4evap

He can't bill me (I think). He doesn't have my credit card number. It was originally billed through Paypal (an Ebay purchase). I canceled the order through Paypal.

It's possible he paid so little for the item (Asian made) that he won't even notice. I mean, he puts the DVD sets on Ebay for bidding starting at .99 cents for the whole 7 seasons. Even knowing that plenty of people will bid it up - that's still taking a chance unless your initial cost is negligible.

He can't bill me (I think). He doesn't have my credit card number. It was originally billed through Paypal (an Ebay purchase). I canceled the order through Paypal.

It's possible he paid so little for the item (Asian made) that he won't even notice. I mean, he puts the DVD sets on Ebay for bidding starting at .99 cents for the whole 7 seasons. Even knowing that plenty of people will bid it up - that's still taking a chance unless your initial cost is negligible.

Oh, well. It's your 25 cents.

Good luck.

I would try to contact the seller by emailing them, and then try to phone them. If they did not respond then I would keep the items.

What would you do at a garage sale if you walked out... were in your car... and realized you hadn't payed $50 for an item. Would you drive away telling yourself it's okay because they didnt catch it, or would you get out of your car and tell them?

At any rate, I would think that if you are asking yourself about the morality of it, then you are struggling with something about it. And most likely deep down you recognize that some part of this isnt legit.

My opinion. :D

mores: The accepted traditional customs and usages of a particular social group. Moral attitudes.

ethics: motivation based on ideas of right and wrong

morally and ethically, you should contact the snotty seller and ask how to return the unpurchased item.

legally, wait for a new bill and if it doesn't show, keep the item. (laws differ but I think if they don't contact you, you're ok.)

Guest c4evap

Wow. A lot to think about here. Yeah...mores, ethics and the legality of it all. Legally I believe I can keep it. Ethically it would be wrong. Morally...well, I know how I'd feel if I were the seller.

Maybe I should have made this a poll?

Naw bugger this!

This person will be making miles more than 100% mark up on each sale, and im sorry but if they chose to send it you for free that is NOT your fault!

Look at it like this, you didnt ask for it .. they chose to send it.... not your problem!

They wont ask for it back, not with the volume of send outs they will be dealing with via Ebay and other sources.

If this is a guy selling you a set that he has in his living room, give it back. If the guy has a garage full of multiple copies of stuff and employees that are rude to people over the internet, then Gig 'em.

Honesty is the best policy, but remember this c4, if you get hooked up, remember to let the love flow through you to others. It's not evil to gain from anothers loss, but to not share our excess is.

Buy a bum a burger...

^^^

he's right keep the dvds in its pakage of a while 30 days.... if the guy hasn't realised the error, it shows he didn't care/ couldn't even be bothered to email you....most like he won't want to pay for the postage back (which is more than the cost of those dvds!!!)...

i rem you started a thread & he had 11 sets up for sale....

theyre prob copies & worth less that 10 bucks!!!!!

i'd say he's happy to rip ppl off so this won't hinder his consious......

:)

just keep 'em!! you luck tart!!! :p