Suggestions for a watchable show old,new,cancelled,or resurected!

naz99

After just finishing going through the whole of Space-Above and beyond, and enjoying greatly im looking for some new suggestions about the kind of Sci-fi that i can watch that got you not only excited but emotionly involved with the characters...

Now as im british im sure there are a few tv shows in the usa that we will not or have never seen over here that im sure will be good.

It doesnt matter how old or new they are or even if they were cancelled i would just like to see something new (to me i mean) all i ask is that it aint too cheesy...

Not that im saying it will be crap but if i have to go through episode after episode of the stuff i dont wanna overdose on it! (it aint the 80,s no more man you have to draw a line).

Hell it could even be animated if its decent!

Thanks in advance to anyone that cares to suggest :)

I just finished Babylon 5. I started with the pilot The Gathering, then watched all the episodes (I've been downloading them for several months - I'd never seen any shows before). It takes a little warming up to the show, especially the first season. But by the time I finished it, my entire family (who consider me an ubergeek and mock my love of SF at every chance) was sitting down to see what would happen next.

Also, Firefly, which I think may well be the best space/SF series of all time. I wish it had time to mature. And the feature movie, Serenity is coming out in a few months. Firefly will be faster to grab than B5 - 15 episodes vs 110.

Roswell was good so was Sliders . at least they were both good when they started . definitely try Babylon 5 that was really a great character driven story as your British it would be redundant to suggest my favorite ...Dr Who

If you are looking for good Character driven series off the sci fi path just a bit there is always Buffy and Angel ,Smallville and Deadzone which are more fantasy sci fi than sci fi but anyways there are a few suggestions

Have you seen enterprise? It's good, but since it's only 4 seasons (b@st@rds) it would be easier on you than going into something 6,7,8seasons long and it's different because not everything is perfect, space travel for earthlings is a bit rusty.

• 3 weeks later...

Id agree with sapphire & steal.

But also BSG which has taken a Sci-Fi into more of a epic soap type show, season 2 is currently being aired in the states but is available here, if you do decide to watch it best starting from the mini series and then season 1.

I’m the new guy that just joined a few minutes ago. Looking forward to checking out the new DR Who and a few other things around here. I’m a little surprised that I’m finding no mention of Firefly anywhere on the site? I’ve been capturing each episode as they re air and looking forward to the final episodes that never aired a few years ago.

Sapphire & Steel' date=' Invasion:Earth (1997)[/quote']

Definitely a return for Sapphire and Steel, I'd love to see them get out of the space time trap Cafe.

Even though they are set before the tv series, Big Finish's Sapphire and Steel are excellent - if not disturbing. IU dare anyone to listen to 'Daisy Chain' and not have a lump in there throat at the end.

im surprised Invasion:earth isnt more known or popular.

it has a really bleak ending too where the aliens actually suceeded in taking over earth, I love bleak stuff like that. It has more emotional impact than a happy ending.

• 3 weeks later...

Farscape, oh my underappreciated love. You'd think it'd take a while to warm up to this, but after three or four episodes, you're hooked. Great series, fantastic series. Sadly it only ran 4 seasons, and ended with a pretty frakking big cliffhanger. Though they did come back a while later and "wrap it up" with the Peacekeeper Wars mini series.

Babylon 5, for years I hated this show. Even in 96', it's CGI looked old compared to DS9 and Voyager. But after season 1, you are hooked as the plot lines grow. You can't help but love every character, even those that do dark and evil things.

Firefly, Whedon wrote it. Nuff said ;) Sadly it only lasted 1 season

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, great stuff. Though they are more main stream than the above cult hits, they offer a ton of entertainment, hell SG-1 is in it's 9th season, with a 10th planned already and no signs of going stale. If you like the idea of humanity struggling to fight for its freedom and defend itself, this is a series for you.

Sliders, great series. Underappreciated by Fox, I don't think they ever take a sci fi show seriously.

BSG (new one), absolutely adore it. I so want to build a Viper Mark II model. Again, struggle for humanity, this time at it's frakking best. I love how they went "B5 style" with the major fights being smaller ships vs smaller ships instead of just big huge ships, plus no fancy super lasers they still use good old fashioned bullets and nukes.

Anything Trek. All of them. Love them. The whole idea of Trek, is one our society cannot grasp. Almost no racial hate, no poverty, very little disease, no need for a monetary system (within the Federation of course). Humanity's goal is self improvement and enlightment, meeting new cultures and learning, not earning a paycheck or doing hardcore drugs or anything that plagues real life in the real world.

Shows I hate? I got a few

Andromeda, well after watching Hercules, I just can't see Kevin Sorbo as a captain of a ship. Everytime I see that show its like watching Hercules In Space. The ship itself isn't that impressive compared to others, and isn't very original. Some of the cast are great actors, but I can't bring myself to watch it.

Earth 2, just, no. Didn't feel right, couldn't warm up to it at all.

Space: Above and Beyond, same as above.

Roswell, it was Dawsons Creek meets Area 51...

Buck Rogers, little too campy for me

Planet of the Apes (series not movies), no...just..no..

Time Trax, oh dear god no...

Jake 2.0, kill me now, please.

Stuff I wish got more of a chance (other than the obvious ones)

Quantam Leap, I never finished watching this so I don't know if Sam and Al ever got home. But great premise for a series

Alien Nation, loved this and the movies.