Do you vote?

Beawulf

I also live in Australia' date=' although I'm not old enough to vote yet. I would vote even if it wasn't compulsory here.[/quote']

Non Australians may find it strange that a democratic country forces it's citizens to vote. In defence, I would say that as such, most Australians are more politically aware and when an election is held, the result is a true reflection of the public voice. I've heard horror stories of governments being elected with less than 25% of the population voting because most didn't.

In any case, there is nothing to stop you from voting informal...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do vote although I feel it doesn't really matter in the long run. Actually I have only been able to vote only once to this day as I am only 18 (minimum age to vote).

I feel that voting is a privilige that everyone should use, even if they feel (like me) that it doesn't matter.

I feel that if i don't want to vote - then why should my vote matter

No one says you have to vote, if you don't care how thing might effect others in your life. It's not just about you, it's about everyone else and who you think will handle things as close to the way you would as possible. Some would call that choosing the lesser of two evils depending on who's running for election.

Voting can be a end to a long boring study of people you really could care less about, hopefully there will be a contestant in the contest that isn't just a professional politician.

Guest c4evap

I don't vote. There's something cheesy about "picking the lesser of two evils" that just turns me off! When we get some decent candidates here in the states...I'll vote.

c4 :thinking:

I'm still 3 years away from all that, but even if i was old enough i don't think i would vote - It just seems like no matter who you vote for - nothing changes. They fix one thing and create a whole new problem.

....which is why i won't be voting in this poll.... :)

How old do you have to be to vote in your Country?

18....I think......

Guest c4evap
I couldn't imagine NOT voting! How else are we gonna keep those damn Democrats outta power?

Another careless typing mistake. I'm sure you meant to say "Republicians".

EDIT: I think this calls for yet another poll!

c4 ;)

When we get some decent candidates here in the states...I'll vote.

If voting became mandatory, it would be nice to have a "none of the above" category. If such an option actually "wins" the election, then a new election must be held and none of the candidates who were party to the first election are eligible to run again. Never happen, but its fun to imagine.

Another careless typing mistake. I'm sure you meant to say "Republicians".

Hehe... I actually vote both ways. My prefered form of government is when BOTH parties are in power. Reagan and Clinton are perfect examples, as both had to make deals with the opposition to get things done. The result was prosperity during both periods. When one party rules both sides, things tend to slump and spending runs amok. Neither party can now claim to be the choice of "fiscal conservatives".

Bush especially has yet to veto a single bill and is a wimp when it comes to fiscal responsibility. He threatened to veto any highway bill over $250 billion in 2004. He flip-flopped and upped the ante this year by 20 something billion dollars. Anything more would definately positively get that veto. Reservists honor!

Bill he signed into law? 11 billion higher at 286.5 billion, and ridden with more pork than any legislation in the history of of the US.

The old "liberal tax and spend democrats" have been beaten at their own game and look like amateurs under the direction of the new "borrow and spend republicans".

Entire thing disgusts me. We need a strong president who will veto congress, and a strong congress like the republicans of 1994 who will stand up to their president and fight spending.

I said I don't vote' date=' but it is only about 80% true. If a state or local rep I really don't like pops up I'll vote for the other guy, but for the biggest, most important election in America my vote really doesn't matter. Any American (unless someone reading this happens to be a member of the electoral college) that is self-diluted enough to believe otherwise obviously must have been living under a rock during the 2000 election. Besides, even if I did vote it would be for Nader and, well, I'm not self-diluted enough to believe he'd actually win.[/quote']

True, but electoral colleges usually follow the popular vote. I can't remember a time when they didn't. If we had like 92% voter turnout and majority vote went to the 3rd party, I promise you, there would be big changes. Politicians only care about those who vote, and thats not a lot of people right now in the good ol USA.

The corporate interests who shape much of our politics here in America count on the sense of voter disenfranchisement that says "Well, I don't like either of the candidates, so I won't vote."

I want to say to such people that you are absolutely right, a single vote doesn't change anything. But that single vote can get you a thin ledge to stand on and perhaps open up the possibility of reforming the system. Seriously, how much effort does it really take to get to the polls?

I would say, however, that engagement with youyr leaders, both political and economic, is essential in the years between elections. If you've never written a letter to a Senator or representative, maybe that's some clue as to why the candidates are so out of touch. You can bet that the business world is making contact daily with your leaders.

-freyacat

Guest c4evap

Yeah. Remember Gore? Looked like he was gonna win but the Green Party pulled votes away from the Democrats and that got us Bush!

Believe me...I would love to vote...but there's just no sense to it anymore. Both major parties are corrupt. There's no concern for the avarage working stiff. It's business as usual. Hell, if the company I work for ran themselves like the government does the higher-ups would be in jail!

IMHO

c4 :(

Guest c4evap
Vote all the time. Gives me the right to bitch.

Here Here If I lived in the states I woundn't vote. In Canada we have a good reason to vote. Keep the US out.

Hey...it's too cold up there for us yanks anyway! Good beer though...

c4 :p