Where have the torrents gone?

species8472

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Napster thing was a lie from the beginning, and it's still a lie to this day.

They insist it is "stealing", when in fact, it is sharing......I think the fact that they lied to the courts should get the whole thing thrown out.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

You do realize it is technically "stealing"? Sure you are sharing a file with other users and other users sharing files with you. But those files are usually copies of a copywritten work, maybe an mp3 or avi for example. While you can access such material for free via a tv set or radio beyond that it's basically illegal, since you are infact giving files you yourself didn't pay for to other users whom also won't pay for it (that file not legitmate files in the future).

It's quite sad really. I mean it's ok if I reach over here and turn on my FM radio and listen to Song A by Artist B, but 10 minutes from now if I wish to hear it again it's illegal for me to download/share Song A by Artist B through the Internet. Sure there are advertisements and such on the radio but guess what, after the song is over assuming a commerical comes on theres no force that says I can't just change the station.

I've honestly thought about moving to Canada where file sharing is currently legal. Plus all the other benefits Canadians get, like free health care doesn't hurt either ;p

There are days, I hate being American ;(

\

First off if they are sending e-mails or mail through regular snail mail to Night, instead of pressing charges he can still host his tracker. Now if they have pressed charges, and he has been called to court. Then I reccomend he takes the actions that he has... until he is cleared from trial. Now he is not doing anything illegal. He isn't. He has a disclaimer up about how you are not allowed to download the torrent unless you own the original copy. So he is not actually breaking any laws. So I imagine they are literally just trying to bully him, and scare him away from what he is doing by making un-founded threats. Personally I would counter sue, for harassment. But if Night is called to trial he does have several things tow orry about. For one, he needs proper representation. Someone respected. Because the MPAA has so much money and so much pull in the legal systems, its become corrupt. That claim is not unfounded either.

but if they dont have a trial or and he has no charges against him, he might aswell call up the mpaa and ask to talk to the man in charge, and find out why they are attacking him, because he is not doing anything wrong... actually technically the only people doing anything wrong is anyone who downloads the episodes without owning a copy.

But MPAA can't catch those guys, so they go after the people like night.

ANYONE like to comment?

-brester

First, I want to say that I've really appreciated this site. I've been a big fan of Sci-Fi for many years and this site was everything I liked rolled into one. Great work Nite.

Here is a post for the MPAA. When I go and pay my 9 bucks to watch a move or 30 if I take my family can I demand a refund if the movie absoulutely sucks???

I recently downloaded a movie because the previews made it seem like a funny movie. I watched it and it was terrible.

I would have been pissed if I spent hard earned money to watch it. Wouldn't the preview be considered false advertising?

Isn't there some sort of reasonable entertainment value requirement or is it just a roll of the dice whether I like the film or not. If that is the case shouldn't the film industry be regulated like gambling?

One last thought - How about salary caps on the film industry? Level the playing field like they do in sports. See how "they" like saving their budgets for a few years to get the movie they want. Better hope they pick the right actor and they don't turn out to be a dud. I would hate for the movie industry to waste their money.

I talked to the owner of torrentfreak.com, and asked him to either remove my uncredited quote from his blog, or credit me for it, and explicitelly say that that was not an official statement from the owner of niteshdw.com. Just in case the other P2P news agencies pick up that blurb, and spread it around like wild fire.

Good job to the mods for removing links to torrents, and to the members who have been cool enough to understand the reasons why posting links to torrents is now a huge deal, and the worst thing you can possibly do.

Nobody has to agree with the reasons why we don't allow torrents, links to torrents, or instructions on how to get them on these boards, but I ask that everybody please understand, and comply with it.

The reasons should be obvious to anybody, but in case you insist on being an ass, and challenging us on this:

- NiteShdw will be recieving a lawsuit from the MPAA.

- NiteShdw also has a wife, and a very young daughter to support, and definatelly can't afford legal represntation / or a lawsuit.

- Despite the questional morality / legality of the impending lawsuit, NiteShdw has decided to be cautious, and pre-emptivly comply with what the MPAA is suing for.

- This site will not host, or condone torrents on his server to protect himself, his family from legal action.

So Please try and keep all that in mind, incase you wanted to be a rebel, and post torrents / instructions on how to get them.

- I am still not a press contact, or spokesman for the website. And unless I contact you, I have nothing to say to reporters.

- Anything I say is largely my own opinion, mixed with information I've been given from NiteShdw.

You know I had a funny thought about this at work today - Battlestar Galactica.

The Cylons (MPAA, RIAA) are hunting down and exterminating the Humans (Torrent users/distributers)....

...there aren't many of us left ;)

LOL yeah and as coincidence has it, BSG latest episode is called Downloaded (there are no coincidences only the appearance of coincidences- I think Sherlock Holmes said that).

Not a problem for me. This is still a great site to disuss Sci-Fi shows. There are some really kick arse shows coming out on the Sci-Fi channel soon. I look forward to talking with others about them.

By the way there was a post earlier about who owns the Sci-Fi channel. For those interested it is own by NBC Universal.

I stumbled across the forums while looking for some good sci-fi discussion, and I'll continue to visit if they're here. Thanks to Nite and to everyone else who keeps things running. I lurk a lot more than I post, but I appreciate all your hard work.

Best wishes for seeing this through.

I think that if the entertainment industry is going to focus on illegal file sharing over the Internet, perhaps U.S. citizens should insist that the executives and performers, the "creative" element in the entertainment industry, they all should be held up as examples, and be subjected to the same kind of drug screening that we demand of our athletes.

Yes, they are right. We should not be allowed to steal their "creative propery."

But by that same respect for law, it is vitally important that these role models should not be sending the "wrong message" by their actions, even their private recrational actions.

Perhaps we should allow intercepting their phone calls to make sure they are not doing anything improper.

Sauce for the goose.

the mpaa might like to reflect on the fact that if the british had had the same approach to copyright in the 19th C ,the industrial revolution would not have spread beyond the UK and they would be sitting unemployed in their log cabins twiddling their thumbs.

here in australia dling is the only way to get battlestar - cant even buy the second box set here yet and it wont be shown on the telly till later in the year( if at all)- when it will be very late at night and ripped to shreds to fit more crappy ads in.

if bsg were available for download at a reasonable price im sure i and a lot of others would be more than happy 2 pay for it- as it is i will continue 2 dl it and wait for the blessed day the box set becomes available

Now, I do understand Nite's predicament (having a family and all), I've been slapped with a lawsuit at one time as well which was dealt with in a similar fashion, i.e. cease and desist.

However, I really hope to God that people (i.e. isohunt or whoever it was) will stand up to the MPAA in court, even though it's likely to cost a lot of money. This thing with the MPAA and government taking more and more of our rights has to stop somewhere, the line has to be drawn somewhere. If we give them our pinkies they'll take the whole hand. Any right that we're willing to give up without a fight won't ever be returned, at least not until the next revolution, whenever that will come.

SSEK AND YE SHALL FIND, to hell with the damn MPAA. I can't believe that there are still people talkin BSG trivia with this crazy shit goin on. We must get together and keep sharing, keep the courage and don't chicken out when the lawyers come knockin.

i feel bad about niteshdw's situation too. He's been basically providing a free service for the people out there and now he's being slapped in the face by the MPAA. Well i just hope all goes for the best for him, and it was a good decision to shut down the site, since it will help him in his defense if this goes to court.

However... what about our situation? Is everyone going to start DHTs? I'm willing to, if someone explains to me how.

*waiting for the flaming to begin...

He has a disclaimer up about how you are not allowed to download the torrent unless you own the original copy. So he is not actually breaking any laws. So I imagine they are literally just trying to bully him' date=' and scare him away from what he is doing by making un-founded threats. Personally I would counter sue, for harassment. [/quote']

Wait 'till people find out it only costs 8 cents to make a DVD, and the MPAA sells it for $50 - $100USD, and yet they whine they are losing money!!

.......Oooops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that?

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

and yet the question remains' date=' where have all the torrents gone? :thinking:[/quote']

The answer to this question and every other like it, for anyone with any kind of deductive capabilities, is:

The torrents have gone away.

Actually the torrents were never here. Just the blueprints for them. Lot’s of other places to get the blueprints (*.torrent files)

It'll be interesting to see how many people stay now. I originally came here for torrents, but i now I only stay for the community and people I've met here. I'm in for the long haul.

Funny thing is it's took me two days to realise the torrent site was down!!!!!!

hehe... It took me nearly a week :) but then I am a lurker from choice rather than necessity.

I loved this site and I will miss you all.

I'm guessing he was referring to this ;) Although the original post seems to be deleted now... :rolleyes:

Yes, that's about the gist of it. But here's a real head kicker: at 1:35pm he post's thisto the board:

I am sorry that I have over reacted. I deleted my post from the forum

Then at 1:37pm I get a PM from him:

Please don't publicly post PM's from other members.

And this is what I could have said, but I think I got this point across.

Hello again all

I'm amazed at the line this thread is taking. It would appear the the majority of posts are flaming at the MP@@ or wingimg about the tracker having been down and selfishly wanting to know where they can carry on with there D/Ling.

SO WHAT!!!!

I've been a member of this site for a long time now and I'm more worried about what will happen to Nite!

Nite has looked after us for qutie a while now and may have ended up in trouble for it, he needs our thanks and more importantly, our support.

I'm also concerned about his silence on the matter (is he under a gagging order?)

Stop thinking about yourselves and think of Nite.

Mods can't call this a flame I've not done it in caps but that's how I feel!

I'll keep watching this space

Pip

So my final point (blunt as it is) is just to keep hanging out, I'm not burying my head in the sand on this, but I really do think it's too early to call the coroner. Besides that, I still haven't learned everything about video editing, which is one of ways I got here in the first place, cause I needed an education.

And on that note, I would have never known of the .avi capable DVD players on the market, do you know how much you can put on one disk? That dvd player is my favorite toy!

Sorry to earthjedi01, but you'll want to avoid this post.

yes' date=' but since I live in Germany and not in I-get-a-million-bucks-cause-I-got-burned-by-McDonalds-coffee-America, I guess I'm fine...[/quote']

Nobody got a million bucks, go re-read the case first, then think a few minutes, *then* you can open your mouth. This way your ignorant idiotic comments wont flood the board