Favorite Captain

Chewbacca

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll have to go wt janeway. i mean...c'mon u guys... with the least experience! and ... she was not prepared for the delta quadrant. yet... she manages to bring the crew back home. she is dedicated, motherly.... which means her passion to get the crew home is more motivated... emotional in a sense. she is a strong woman. i'm no feminist. but compare her to picard... he made star fleet look weak. archer is self-centered! loose cannon! unrational at times! yet sisko is not very bad... kirk... i was 8 when i last saw TOS. but he's ok i guess. i'd go for 1 - janeway. 2- sisko, 3- kirk, 4- archer last... pee card. <-- is that how u spell it? :rolleyes:

I AM a guy! I also hold an honours degree in political science and spent 3 months on feminism alone. You can have male feminists - I believe in equality not superiority.

I also believe I'd rather go into space with a ass-kicker than my mommy.

Cowman, if you believe in equality, you would not be a feminist, you'd be an everybody-ist. Feminism implies bias.

I prefer Janeway. She, Kirk, and Archer are the only three that mean 'boldly go where no man has gone before' when they say it. Picard had many chances to explore, and he almost always gets scared and runs home. He seems more suited for admiralship (but he'd make an incredible admiral, I admit).

Janeway seemed to hold Voyager together through sheer force of will. Also, she had the courage to hold on to the Borg she seperated from the collective. She was understaffed, inexperienced, and alone with an inferior ship in completely uncharted territory. I like how hands-on she was with the ship. Maybe that's just her situation, and Picard would have done the same, but I doubt it.

Kirk? Too simplistic. He just wanted to brawl and make-out.

Sisko? Too restrained when it came to exploration. He had a cloaked ship and a wormhole, and how often did he go exploring? Not much.

Picard? Seemed too strict sometimes when he should have been diplomatic, and too diplomatic when he should have been strict. Also, he didn't use the opportunity with Hugh to destroy the Borg. How many died because he didn't finish them then and there?

Archer? He tries; all the components of a good captain seem to be there, but he just doesn't have the talent to be special. Seems kinda flat, and almost naievely earnest. I can't respect a man who takes off his shirt and performs a tree-cutting apology ceremony to appease and placate an ignorant culture.

Yer i am. I was a bit refreshing to see. he did explore he just don't go looking for it, it came to him. the defiant wasn't there for exploring. The issues on a space station were cool and there was no need "to go boldly where no man has gone before" all the time. Ok i'll admitt one of the seasons was pretty poor, with half of it being set in the holodeck. but besides that.

Cowman' date=' if you believe in equality, you would not be a feminist, you'd be an everybody-ist. Feminism implies bias.[/quote']

That is a common mistake/assumption that is the result of what some call "lesbian feminism" that in reality is such a small (but vocal) minority within the movement that it doesn't really bare discussing here. General Feminism believes in gender equality. The perceived bias is yours. I admit the name of the movement is somewhat misleading but since it grew out of a movement for equal rights for women it kept the title to honour it's foundations...plus it's not that much of a misnomer really. Often thinking feminists are anti-men is a tool of mysogenists to discredit the serious and positive work the movement has made. Most ideologies are not monolithic either. For example I believe in Feminism but not Affirmative Action. Oh and there's no such thing as an "everybody-ist", closest thing might be a humanist but I haven't really studied that. (The Honours program made me long-winded, I apologize)

Sisko? Too restrained when it came to exploration. He had a cloaked ship and a wormhole, and how often did he go exploring? Not much.

To me, exploring does not a captain make.