M/F

Duggie

Hiya

I am trying to improve the stats on the Female front. I do have a couple of female Trekkie friends and relatives but they do not like Enterprise as much as TNG or Voyager..... Enterprise it is a lot more male dominated I guess. It did seem like a tad John Wayne in space but I still like it ;)

Where are all the girls?

Charmed forums?

Fancy expanding on that?

I mean as in, apart from T'pol who seems to be the token vulcan, who happens to be a woman, there is no real strong female characters that help women identify with Enterprise. After Janeway, Crusher, Dax, Kira, Yar, Troi, Torres, Seven, Kes etc - we've gone backwards (I don't mean the timeline), its a new frontier with Archer leaps into, and sometimes ends up causing havoc with everything - no caution like Picard. This is why they created the Prime Directive now - we can see that!! LOL

I thought the question was why are there not as many female fans of Enterprise? I do like Ent, but as a woman I ask my Sci-fi loving female friends why they do not watch Enterprise - because its like cowboys and indians in space - very macho so they say. (don't blame me for this!!)

That's why everyone loved TNG it was refreshing there were a lot more characters, all interesting and entertaining than just Kirk, Spock and Mcoy. And we could see technology advancing, just imagine... maybe we would end up with a world that was positive, no disease, no biased opinions - just maybe we could get along, for once - and explore strange new worlds whilst at it.

A visit to the pub makes me ramble.... Sorry.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean as in, apart from T'pol who seems to be the token vulcan, who happens to be a woman, there is no real strong female characters that help women identify with Enterprise. After Janeway, Crusher, Dax, Kira, Yar, Troi, Torres, Seven, Kes etc - we've gone backwards (I don't mean the timeline), its a new frontier with Archer leaps into, and sometimes ends up causing havoc with everything - no caution like Picard. This is why they created the Prime Directive now - we can see that!! LOL

I thought the question was why are there not as many female fans of Enterprise? I do like Ent, but as a woman I ask my Sci-fi loving female friends why they do not watch Enterprise - because its like cowboys and indians in space - very macho so they say. (don't blame me for this!!)

That's why everyone loved TNG it was refreshing there were a lot more characters, all interesting and entertaining than just Kirk, Spock and Mcoy. And we could see technology advancing, just imagine... maybe we would end up with a world that was positive, no disease, no biased opinions - just maybe we could get along, for once - and explore strange new worlds whilst at it.

A visit to the pub makes me ramble.... Sorry.

ramble all you want to we love hearing opinions!!!!!!!as to the reason why no strong female roles....gene wanted strong female roles on TNG to shiw no discrimination in the future...in DS9 and VOYAGER if i remember correctly (if im wrong im sure ill get flamed) wasn't there a writer named jerry that kind of kept B&B straight about having good female roles? in ENT we only got a glimpse of a strong female reciently when B&B werent writing (hacking?) the scripts the role im speaking of is the capt of enterprise's sister ship. yes i agree it needed more strong female roles and i believe that manny was working in that direction....T'PAU....Shran's g/f...strong women...things were just starting to get to where they needed to be for a show worthy of the Enterprise name when ......well ill not rant on that now...anyhooo...welcome cshawx and do speak up more often the more input the better!!!

If only the volcan lady Tpo'l had utterly fallen in love (clearly expressing it) with Trip and there was a big romantic aspect to Enterprise, it would have been much more popular with women.

We could have doubled our votes.. or even trippled them... from 5 to 15!

ramble all you want to we love hearing opinions!!!!!!!in ENT we only got a glimpse of a strong female reciently T'PAU....Shran's g/f...strong women...things were just starting to get to where they needed to be for a show worthy of the Enterprise name when ......well ill not rant on that now...anyhooo...welcome cshawx and do speak up more often the more input the better!!!

Well Said! Just when ENT is getting really good the unthinkable happens..... Just when we were getting to the Romulans... Why does ST always just touch on them but never delve further like The Borg? Nice to be here Werecow.

tyvm...personally i think that B&B had the plug pulled when they realised that manny was coming out with better stuff than they could and they wanted to go down as THE writers for star trek...btw as one of our few female sci-fi fans what kinds of (series,movies,books) do you enjoy???? just looking for some input from the other side of the fence..

tyvm...personally i think that B&B had the plug pulled when they realised that manny was coming out with better stuff than they could and they wanted to go down as THE writers for star trek...btw as one of our few female sci-fi fans what kinds of (series' date='movies,books) do you enjoy???? just looking for some input from the other side of the fence..[/quote']

Bingo.

B&B were being upstaged.

:)

btw as one of our few female sci-fi fans what kinds of (series' date='movies,books) do you enjoy???? just looking for some input from the other side of the fence..[/quote']

ah well all sci-fi really, Everything Trek - Battlestar, Star Wars, Babylon 5, $6m man, Bionic woman - loved the Daleks but never understood why no one ran up/down a staircase to escape...... Aliens, Apollo 13, Matrix, Space: Above and Beyond (can't believe they canned that) - the list is endless. also anything paranormal, Hex, X Files, Millenium etc... As for books - well read mostly thrillers/crime novels and not sci-fi, that's for the TV/Cinema to get the proper effect :D and yes... I'm a gadget freak. Funnily enough my elder sister has the exact same tastes - but she's also massively into Stargate but I never got round to seeing that - not enough hours for everything..... But then I do love crime shows to balance it out .... CSI Vegas and NY (can't stand the ginger dude in Miami...)

so is there hopes for the female gender? LOL oh yes and there was Buck Rogers...... but I was young then B)

More than 93% Male audience :(...what a surprise... :rolleyes:

On THIS site yes, but not on startrek.com. There it's more 50-50. You have to remember this site has not been around as long as the official star trek forum has, as well as not being widely accepted or well known.

• 2 weeks later...