What would be the best new idea for new Star Trek Series?

daffydk

Basing a series as just the Federations would be great. It could cover everything from the Alpha Quadrant and involve every series that has been written. It would allow writers to experiment and incorperate characters already created. We could see all of our favorite characters return, and their enemies.

There is no reason to end Star Trek with Enterprise. 4 seasons was good for a prequel. Now its time to conitue with the future to boldy go. Or did paramount for get thats what Star Trek is all about.

More movies would be good too. :D :D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem lies more in the way TV tells stories. I watched the Season three in almost one sitting and -omitting divergence stuff for those who do not watch on a regular basis- I must say that the Xindi episode is brilliant apart from the minor detail that I would have enjoyed it even more, if the non-humanoid race had given us their trust. Perhaps of the hatchery or something.

Some random suggestions:

Write stories not episodes

A good story arch is a big thing. Don't write episodes. Write 6 hour movies and slice them into pieces. Fans will love you, but marketeers will say they need a cliffhanger before every commercial break (Hence bad storytelling). You will sell more DVDs though.

Dare to evolve your characters

Dare to evolve you characters and leave out redundand blabla that just fills the lack of ideas read commands that are not given in a way they would be.

Similitude was one of the finest episodes I have seen in any series as it touches a very philosophical concept in a way that make you really care about the outcome.

I know it is part of most stories, but jeopardizing your key personal in every episode is nothing to be taken lightly.

Refilm TOS

Refilm TOS: After I came to love Commander Shren and the way his feelers express his emotions. I can never watch TOS again. I know it is heresy, but admit it that the series is a platform for nostalgia only. No sane kid would watch that today.

Enterprise is beautifully done in many aspects, especially that they are sneaking in non-humanoid lifeforms. Refilm the series and everything will be ok. I hoped initially that they would actually continue until they had overwritten TOS in a way, but no.

Time travel kills good stories

Stay away from time travel as it will limit your stories. Why? Because once the nice chap in the black jumpsuit can intervene whenever he feels like, many good plots which depend on scarcity of choices or irreversibility are lost. The struggle and the limitations is what makes the setting of enterprise unique and rewarding. Planar travel, time travel, everything united and then go and look for species 0815? I think that is just saddling up the same dead horse. The explanation arch to make the Klingons look like TOS Klingons (Note: they had no budget besides wigs and eyebrows!!!) broke the camels back for me.

Change the angle

Some episodes should not take place on Enterprise entirely. Why not have a couple of Klingon or Romulan episodes in between? Insert 'Meanwhile in another part of this galaxy' and off you go. Starvation and military coup on Cardassia, intrigue on Romulus. some conquests and rebellions for the Klingons.

I want to see more of the Romulans' endeavours the reunite or retake Vulcan or spread chaos and mischief.

Before Peter Jackson convinced the studio bosses to give him a shot, fantasy was dead. Hell, SF has never been dead. It had its setbacks. GL being one of them, but good stories save the day any time.

I like your ideas. Good suggestions for Paramount but will they heed?

Just to comment on some of what you said. Character development was very poorly done in TOS and dare I say Enterprise but beautifully done in Voyager and TNG. Everyone who watches TNg knows Riker, Picard, Troi, Tasha Yaar, dr. crusher, Data and even wesley. They had very nicely done episodes about each character and explored their life (including romance), their background and careers. Same with voyager, although I think the Dr. character got a little way too much attention but it was stil nice.

Enterprise did a little bit of that this season. Season 3, they didnt realy do much becaues they were busy with the xindi story. Season 1` and 2 the characters were barely explored.

As far as your idea of looking at it from another angle such as the klingons and romulans. That is good too.

Enterprise did a little of it this seasons with the volcuns but archer was invovled too much.

You should watch TNG episodes Redemption part 1 and 2. It is mostly from the klingon angle where they show the klingon empire/council.

My nifty idea for a post-TNG new trek series would be for STar Fleet to finally send a ship to another Galaxy. Then we could once again go where no man has gone before. Not like Voyager where they are lost, but the actual first exploration of another galaxy. Also BTW have y'all watched any of the New voyages? www.newvoyages.com

Some episodes should not take place on Enterprise entirely. Why not have a couple of Klingon or Romulan episodes in between? Insert 'Meanwhile in another part of this galaxy' and off you go. Starvation and military coup on Cardassia, intrigue on Romulus. some conquests and rebellions for the Klingons.

i agree with this.

the politics alone could make an intreguing plot. stretch that acrossthe quadrant and have polts which extrnd throughout.

as much as i lovr star trek, i think the idea has been done to death and needs a break.

who was that klingon bloke in the final voyager ep who designed that thingy for janeway? he was an interesting character.

and has anyone read the riftwar sequence by feist which begins with magician where a prince of the realm uses the western capitals underworld to accomplish certain tasks.

there is a whole galaxy and loads of potential for interesting charactors, action, intrigue and so on. and none of it set on the bridge of a starship.

imagine a klingon dynasty set around the high council with all the big feuding houses........

the rest i leave to your imagination

Some very good points........But this begs the question:

Why weren't some of these ideas used in ST:ENT?

....They would've worked well, not broken with canon, and attracted new viewers!

:stare:

i agree with this.

the politics alone could make an intreguing plot. stretch that acrossthe quadrant and have polts which extrnd throughout.

as much as i lovr star trek, i think the idea has been done to death and needs a break.

who was that klingon bloke in the final voyager ep who designed that thingy for janeway? he was an interesting character.

and has anyone read the riftwar sequence by feist which begins with magician where a prince of the realm uses the western capitals underworld to accomplish certain tasks.

there is a whole galaxy and loads of potential for interesting charactors, action, intrigue and so on. and none of it set on the bridge of a starship.

imagine a klingon dynasty set around the high council with all the big feuding houses........

I am sorta getting sick of the human focus all the time, I wanna know about alien cultures :) in Star Trek not just the Federation. It would be cool if the romulans had a series for themselves :)

i have to dissagree with lightbeam about writing stories instead of episodes' date=' at the moment trek needs to get back to the style of tng and tos, with unrelated episodes.[/quote']

have you bumped your head???? the 2 and three part eps that Manny has been doing are great!!!!he has been writing stories instead of just something to fill 45 mins of tv time in between commercials.the story is what you come basc to see again and again not just another episode...

The problem with 6 hour stories cut into 45 minute pieces is that we would never get away from the main story. This happened in season 3 of Enterprise and I just got sick of it after a while. Xindi this, Death Star that... In Deep space Nine they had an arc (an actual arc) that lasted from season 2 to the very last episode, but the writers were able to get away from the Dominion War whenever they felt like it.

Although to people who don't watch Trek it's just about technobabble, to us it's been about exploration, alien cultures, intriguing plots, diplomacy, politics and how it all relates to our time. Over the years we've seen Trek evolve from that to what is mostly a futuristic action show. If the A-team in space were the key to success, the original Battletar Galactica series with Dirk Benedict should have been a smash hit. ;)

The popularity of Star Trek has gone down since The Next Generation. Why? Maybe instead of trying to let the franchise "evolve" more, it should return to its roots and draw back its fans. We have seen what does not work, therefore it is logical to assume that returning to what worked will achieve the desired effect.

exactly..i feel as if season 4 of enterprise has been a perfect example of "getting back to our roots" we have been exploring..learning about new alien races and building relations with them....t'pol and trip not withstanding

i still like the andorian thingy....why have all of the starship captians been from earth???? isnt that sort of xenophic (sp)

why not a show about after the federation has formed with commander shren at the captian's chair?

Why doesn't Enterprise begin incorporating new technology

into their ship. Perhaps actual energy shields or other "new"

technology seen in TOS. Getting shields up and running and

using them in battle (and actually saving their butts) would be

worth several shows.

i think a series of spin off stories from any or all of the series so far there is so much hinted at and so much not fully explained look at newvoyages episode 2 what a great story coming from a original series idea if we had a weekly show with different series spinoff then no-one would get bored especially if they are all one episode stories instaed of series long sagas

i miss a few in my job and i lose the plot (could be my age) so single episode stories mean you don't have to keep up just sit back and enjoy

tos was nearly all one episode stories and look how that has taken off

750 episodes from one idea although not so hot just lately

still think we need an alien capt. xenophobes! aer we so self centered ans egotistical to think that only a human has the capabilities and intelligence to be a federation captian? i havent the slightest doubt that we are by far not the sweetest apple in the bushel!!!!!

just an idea, apologies if already suggested - why not do 'mini-series' type shows? Change the time/settings for each?

You can then jump about - I'd love to see more of the Romulans - and whatever happened to the evil offspring of Tasha Yar that was raised in Romulus that taunted Picard? (I probably missed those episodes) you could do one after Voyager reaches earth.... find out what happened to Kes (and what did happen to Wesley? last I saw he disappeared with a Traveller?

jump to the creation of the Federation, flashback to the when Vulcan and Romulans turned against each other - hey why not a few episodes on the evolution of Vulcan and them 'watching' Earth evolve... maybe an invisible 'monitoring' station of Vulacan on Earth ?

Even a few stories of 'Dax' pre- Jadzir - how many hosts were there? Curzon sounded interesting? You could maybe get the guest stars back in. The history of Guinan? Ryker and Troi's offspring.... More Data...

you wouldn't be limited to being stuck on one station/starship or galaxy.... How the Borg began, species 8472 (?). Torres and Chakotay in the Maquis.... just as long as Nelix is NEVER in it - I couldn't stand him.....

or Picard as a young Ensign..... TNG had a lot of humour in it - that's missing... the poker nights... the episode where they were 'drunken' syptoms.. the endless trials of Data trying to be human, the butt of Ryker's jokes. Am I missing all the humour? Enterprise Series 3 was more serious, then the Augments, the only light bits is when Shren's about - and what a great character he is. He should be on Enterprise all the time.....

Sorry for rambling.

What I'd like to see is a drama series set in the Star Trek universe.

Set it during TNG, during a particular time of tension and use the characters serving on one of the smaller, older ships.

It'd need a writing team that can write a compelling story. Have continuity, military and science/engineering advisors who have the neccissary qualifications and USE them.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised at all to know that Paramount was taking ideas from a thread just like this. Some great ideas and good discussion here. Thank you it was a good read.

I would love to see a series based on the Orion, operating outside the federation, without any prime directive problems... Got to have a Hans Solo type lead..... Imagine the close-ups on an Orion Blockaid runner!!!