What would be the best new idea for new Star Trek Series?

daffydk

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kirk's already been there HV, any way my idea of a good trek series is the borg trying to kill off the federation.

Since janeway came back and distoryed the transwarp hub and future janeway got assimilated, and gave them a virus lol, I'd say the borg would be well pissed off and try to kill off the federation again.

also why are the borg always so pityful at trying to kill humanity?

for all the technology and that many starfleet officers the've assimilated u'd think the borg would wipe out the entire federation, also why do they always go after earth? whats so special about it?

I wish they would have let Enterprise finish to the point of the establisment of the Federation, as glimpsed in the temporal wars. They had to cut it when the series seemed to finally find its feet. :(

As for doing it in the future, why not the Enterprise-J or some other Enterprise-?. To quote Picard "There are plenty of letters in the alphabet." Or maybe Starfleet involved in the "Temporal Wars" :thinking: :)

How about the Federation Starship Destroyer a vesel created by all of the federation allies including the Klingons to battle the Borg set after the return of Voyager.

Could have a contingent of Klingon warriors on board to defend against infiltration.

Just a thought?

someone mention a parralel universe series. that would be cool and you could have reaccuring bad guys who can jump universe too. how scary and powerful would the borg be if instead of differant borg in different universes they were just one big power throughout the multiverse.

or thousands of years in the future, after the collapse of the federation and civiliations throughout the galaxy due to one thing or another, a new federation is born out of the ashes of the old you could have a series like tos/tng boldly going, but everything would be different tech would be at tng level and races would be so different suraks teachings on vulcan could be lost, klingons could be cowardly fags or even geeks. the possibilites are endless.

someone mention a parralel universe series. that would be cool and you could have reaccuring bad guys who can jump universe too. how scary and powerful would the borg be if instead of differant borg in different universes they were just one big power throughout the multiverse.

or thousands of years in the future, after the collapse of the federation and civiliations throughout the galaxy due to one thing or another, a new federation is born out of the ashes of the old you could have a series like tos/tng boldly going, but everything would be different tech would be at tng level and races would be so different suraks teachings on vulcan could be lost, klingons could be cowardly fags or even geeks. the possibilites are endless.

sounds a bit like andromeda.

how about picards retirement. after bein totally hacked off by his younger cloned self in nemesis, he hangs up his uniform and...wait for it...tells starfleet he's "ad it up to here" motions to the top of his head...........

..........and drives an icecream van til he pops his clogs :p

Hmm.. I think the fact that Enterprise was canceled shows that the whole "Ship on exploration" thingy doesn't work that good anymore (well.. okay.. maybe on a different network and better writers... agh.. enough of that..).

So I'd return to the good old fashioned 1 episode scifi stories.

The advantages are: You can jump around in the Star Trek timeline like crazy. If the audience likes a particular episode there's no reason why there shouldn't be a sequel or a miniarc. You can write in characters of the previous star trek productions (Picard, 7/9, etc.) the audience loved, and shed some light on their fate after/before the series (Anyone wants to know what happened to the voyager crew after they got home, too?). You don't have to focus that much on character development (Enterprise's writers weren't good at it). You can hire quite alot different (guest) writers, because there is no continuity or restrictions => much more diversity and possibilities - even fans could submit scripts/ideas.

In short: You can close the gaps that were left by the previous series and you can introduce new stuff without worrying too much about continuity and restrictions (except the restrictions of the Star Trek universe itself). Plus, the producers are much more flexible concerning the wishes of the audience and the budget.

Sure, a new ship would be nice, but I really grow sick of the whole "To boldly go were noone has gone before" and "we're human and that's why we deal with this situation like that" concept. We have had enough of that, imho.

just my 2(€) Cents

For what it's worth, here's my idea about a new series, I've thought about this every since the Voyager episode where they go back to earth in todays time, and are forced back to their own time and reality in the Delta Quadrant.

They should put out a series set more in the future then Voyager was. With the "Timeship Relativity" (Although this was a one man ship, it could have been more of a shuttle from a bigger "Timeship Relativity"? This series could even have many episodes that include various scenes from all of the other Star Trek series, tying up loose ends that we've all wondered about. (The "How did THAT happen" stuff). It could also fit in well with the Temporal Wars.

What do you all think about this?

Always,

~Mark (MrStrype)

For what it's worth, here's my idea about a new series, I've thought about this every since the Voyager episode where they go back to earth in todays time, and are forced back to their own time and reality in the Delta Quadrant.

They should put out a series set more in the future then Voyager was. With the "Timeship Relativity" (Although this was a one man ship, it could have been more of a shuttle from a bigger "Timeship Relativity"? This series could even have many episodes that include various scenes from all of the other Star Trek series, tying up loose ends that we've all wondered about. (The "How did THAT happen" stuff). It could also fit in well with the Temporal Wars.

What do you all think about this?

Always,

~Mark (MrStrype)

Not bad but a show on time travel can quickly get very confusing. It is hard enough to keep one episode with time travel straight.

But if they could pull it off with good writers, it would be cool.

I wouldnt mind a new series focused on a way far future kinda star trek, where the Galaxy and her powers are established in the milky way ..... and perhaps there are other galaxies where the Federation barely goes into but is there and on a great frontier of exploration , having a base and established sector.... roughing it through and all and perhaps continueing their federation by showing other alien races trust,loyalty, etc and all that stuff.

Basicly something DS9 stylish and a mix of Archer ... then add a little Kirk into it and vwhola .... lol.

Basicly something more full of life and more 'unknown' element.

Everyone wants to see the romulans, and to be honest, they have really been neglected in trek. Klingons, xindi, borg, cardassians, the dominian all of them got some focus, yet the romulans came out with the klingons. So how about a series like

Star Trek: Neutral Zone - Going from the end of the romulan war until Rick and Brannon start screwing it up again.

Everyone wants to see the romulans, and to be honest, they have really been neglected in trek. Klingons, xindi, borg, cardassians, the dominian all of them got some focus, yet the romulans came out with the klingons. So how about a series like

Star Trek: Neutral Zone - Going from the end of the romulan war until Rick and Brannon start screwing it up again.

You know I never realized this till you pointed it out but I would love to see a trek series with the romulans in focus....!!!

I know, being UPN sold us out for more reality TV and Kevin Hill, why not a trek reality show.

Simulate a trek like environment, a ship, some actors in alien costumes etc. and have trekkies act out and solve problems presented to them based on how they saw it done in the fictional show.

The idea sucks, but for that I would be on the line for auditions yesturday.

I think the problem lies more in the way TV tells stories. I watched the Season three in almost one sitting and -omitting divergence stuff for those who do not watch on a regular basis- I must say that the Xindi episode is brilliant apart from the minor detail that I would have enjoyed it even more, if the non-humanoid race had given us their trust. Perhaps of the hatchery or something.

Some random suggestions:

Write stories not episodes

A good story arch is a big thing. Don't write episodes. Write 6 hour movies and slice them into pieces. Fans will love you, but marketeers will say they need a cliffhanger before every commercial break (Hence bad storytelling). You will sell more DVDs though.

Dare to evolve your characters

Dare to evolve you characters and leave out redundand blabla that just fills the lack of ideas read commands that are not given in a way they would be.

Similitude was one of the finest episodes I have seen in any series as it touches a very philosophical concept in a way that make you really care about the outcome.

I know it is part of most stories, but jeopardizing your key personal in every episode is nothing to be taken lightly.

Refilm TOS

Refilm TOS: After I came to love Commander Shren and the way his feelers express his emotions. I can never watch TOS again. I know it is heresy, but admit it that the series is a platform for nostalgia only. No sane kid would watch that today.

Enterprise is beautifully done in many aspects, especially that they are sneaking in non-humanoid lifeforms. Refilm the series and everything will be ok. I hoped initially that they would actually continue until they had overwritten TOS in a way, but no.

Time travel kills good stories

Stay away from time travel as it will limit your stories. Why? Because once the nice chap in the black jumpsuit can intervene whenever he feels like, many good plots which depend on scarcity of choices or irreversibility are lost. The struggle and the limitations is what makes the setting of enterprise unique and rewarding. Planar travel, time travel, everything united and then go and look for species 0815? I think that is just saddling up the same dead horse. The explanation arch to make the Klingons look like TOS Klingons (Note: they had no budget besides wigs and eyebrows!!!) broke the camels back for me.

Change the angle

Some episodes should not take place on Enterprise entirely. Why not have a couple of Klingon or Romulan episodes in between? Insert 'Meanwhile in another part of this galaxy' and off you go. Starvation and military coup on Cardassia, intrigue on Romulus. some conquests and rebellions for the Klingons.

I want to see more of the Romulans' endeavours the reunite or retake Vulcan or spread chaos and mischief.

Before Peter Jackson convinced the studio bosses to give him a shot, fantasy was dead. Hell, SF has never been dead. It had its setbacks. GL being one of them, but good stories save the day any time.