Your First Modem/Internet Connection (At Home)

synexo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine was a good ol' 9600...went per dial-up into BTX (probably unknown outside of germany,its kinda like BBS,well... kinda exactly like it...) which was kinda lame on todays standart...but hey i was like 7 years old and stil trying to master DOS 5.0 on a 20Mhz 386SX and a couple Mb RAM...that were the days....after the Amiga 500 this was a killer machine.....

the most intruiging experience regarding technological advancements was the jump from a P133 to a 2Ghz P4...now that was nice especially for games.... B)

I had a 2400 modem on a 286 machine. With 2mb RAM. I upgraded to 4mb module for $140. I was sooo happy because i didnt have to use virtual memory on my smallllll hard drive.

I used prodigy. They used to charge twice as much for the 9600 connection. I couldnt afford it and always wished I could have 9600.

In a way these forums are like the bb's where I posted at the time. I had a realllly good friend from those bb's and I know her name but I have searched every search engine but I cant find her:(

First was 2400. Then went to 14.4 when I started my first BBS using Telegard. Later tried Renegade software and setup FrontDoor mail forums. Even had a registered version of TradeWars 2002.

main.gif

LOL You know a few months back just for fun I was playing TradeWars 2002 on my sidekick using the Terminal Client app! And yes you can still find a lot of BBSs and MUDs using TelNet.

300 kbps as lowest speed and 9600/28800/33600 Kbps ?!?!?

No way!

It was 300 bps in those days (not K's yet) :-)

LOL you're absolutely right! Been so long ago I forgot we didn't even have 'k's back then! thanx!

My first computer was one of those with two 5 1/4 inch floppies, and no hdd. But that had no modem. My first one with a modem was a 75 mhz pentium 1 acer computer with a 28.8 modem.

My god I thought that was cool. Then I got another computer in 1999 with a 56k modem, and didn't bother getting cable(yes, the computer had a lan port) until I got my current computer, an overclocked 64 bit 3200+ with a TB of hdd space to store stuff, and that was in around december. So trust me, I still remember the dial up days well. B)

EDIT: Fixed spelling error.

Id first heard of modems bak in 83-84 but didnt really interest me as I didnt know what use 2 (or more) computers talking to each other would be like or even worth having. the nearest idea I had about modems was from the 80s movie 'War Games' with Matthew Broderick. My first real connection to the internet was in 1999 with the SEGA Dreamcast, wow, this was awesome, surfing the web with a games machine. I finally got a keyboard for it and everyone in my gaming community for Sonic Adventure were jumping on the free webspce bandwagon and started learning HTML. In 2000 I moved into Pentium PCs and never looked back. then in 2003 I discovered BitTorrent WOOT! And here we are.