Posting Rules (Updated 2nd March 2006)

Updated March 2, 2006

1. Stay on topic

-- Please try to keep your responses to threads on topic.  You are welcome to create 'off-topic' and random threads in "General Discussion" for all your off-topic comments.

However, threads that are concitered to be "overly" silly, such as threads made for the soul purpose if posting one word, encouraging members to spam to increase their post count, or other examples of "Extreme" foolishness, may be locked at the discression of forum moderators without warning.

2. No foul, obscene, or demeaning language.

-- Let's try to keep the site 'family friendly'.  Also, please refrain from making comments regarding race, religion, sexual orientation, or web browser usage.  Some people can be very offended if they are told that Firefox is a c##ppy browser.

3. The Ranking system does not imply any sort of authority

-- The ranking system is designed to show how active a user is in the forums, but in no way does it give that user any special privledge or authority.  Please do not "brag" or attack based on rank.  Doing so will result in posts being deleted, demotion, or a complete removal of the ranking system

4. Please be kind and curtious in your responses

-- If we are to build a community, let us be helpful and kind to those asking for our assistance.

5. If you attribute a quote to another user, you must only use their words, and not edit the post to distort their meaning. Spoofed posts, which attribute words to somebody who didn't post them will be deleted.

-- It can be deceptive and hurtful. Please don't do this, even if the urge to parody another user is overpowering. Using a ... snip ... is in good taste when editing a quote for brevity.

Also keep in mind that Private Messages are supposed to be private, and it is considered to be in very poor taste to publicly post a PM in the forums.

6. Do NOT Post Torrents,  Links to torrents or links to torrent sites.

-- Any post that contains a torrent attachment, a URL to a torrent / torrent site may be deleted.

You may still discuss different bittorrent programs, news and rumours (such as the latest news on different bittorrent sites), so long as no links to specific torrent sites are given.

Please remember the words of our beloved Captain and philosopher, Jean-Luc Picard: "We seek to better ourselves"

Let us build a little of our own 24th century utopia here!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- If we are to build a community, let us be helpful and kind to those asking for our assistance.

I will endeavor to do better on this one. I think that counting to ten before posting isn't enough. Sometimes it needs to be 10^10.

Please remember the words of our beloved Captain and philosopher, Jean-Luc Picard: "We seek to better ourselves"

Yes. That's the Star Trek philosophy. Even though it's "just" a set of TV shows, movies, conventions, games, and fans, it does offer a broader view of the world, the challenge of learning to get along with each other. Aye, aye, Fleet Admiral, I'll do my best.

I made this point in a post a while ago. But people told me it is normal and the ones who moderate boards see it all the time and that the thread will return to normal. It's not the point, the point is you should not introduce something into the thread that has nothing to do with the topic. It's childish, and so are the one word replies in posts, just for the sake of getting the last word in.

That is true but as our numbers grow there is going to be more competition and this double posting might become a problem. And I do agree about the last word thing. I always see "Yea" as the entire post, but when you think about it is usually when we are in a coversation and it's not really just a debate or something.

Could we make mercury restrict consecutive posts, that way people will have to learn to edit, i've learnt.

Nite, you should bring the posting back to 30 second intervals, that should help out with at least some of the double posting.

Also, there is a paintball website (www.warpig.com) their forum has some sort of automated censoring that changes bad words to the word "tricicle". You should check it out, If you want, ill give you my name and password so you can see how it works without regestering, could be helpful, probably could program it to prevent conversations like yesterdays homophobe topic. Nite, lemme know though if you want that sn and pass by email.

1. Stay on topic

-- Please try to keep your responses to threads on topic. You are welcome to create 'off-topic' and random threads in "General Discussion" for all your off-topic comments.

2. No foul, obscene, or demeaning language.

-- Let's try to keep the site 'family friendly'. Also, please refrain from making comments regarding race, religion, sexual orientation, or web browser usage. Some people can be very offended if they are told that Firefox is a crappy browser.

3. The Ranking system does not imply any sort of authority

-- The ranking system is designed to show how active a user is in the forums, but in no way does it give that user any special privledge or authority. Please do not "brag" or attack based on rank. Doing so will result in posts being deleted, demotion, or a complete removal of the ranking system

1: totally understandable, but i dont see anything wrong with a litle ireverance on dead threads.

2: noone would ever say firefox is crappy. unless they havent tried it.

3:noone really believes that if you are a higher rank you have any power. its all in fun. though, the this begs the question. if the ranking system doesnt matter, then why did you make yourself an admiral? ehh? ;)

4:understanable. though i dont think there needs to be any hand holding here. :rolleyes:

The rules seem fair and just and common sense, except maybe the one word response thing. But I'll save that for another time.

I do have a suggestion though Nite....kinda suprised noone else has thought of it....Why not create a thread called "TEN FORWARD" for everyone to jump in and post and get to know one another. Basically just a plan old BS thread where you talk about anything and everything(using common sense of course). This could be extremely popular and help build a strong core of users and friends extremely loyal to this site.

I know this to be true, I belonged to an underground testers site that did this, when things happened and that site shut down, the friendships that were made developed into new communities on 3 other sites, and that core group of friends also have a ultra private site just for them (I know I'm one of them and help run that site) just to keep the friendships alive, we became and internet family, and isn't that what Star Trek really is...an interstellar family?

Anyway my 2 cents..if it's worth that!LOL

And Nite THANK YOU for such and awesome site for us Star Trek Fans to come and enjoy!

Good Night and God Bless!!!

if the ranking system doesnt matter, then why did you make yourself an admiral? ehh? ;)

It's for security reasons.

As for dead threads, the owner should be allowed to post a BUMP in the thread to raise it back up every once in a while.

It's for security reasons.

What??

:stare:

He's the freakin' wizard of the board! Why would he need security???

:rolleyes:

Now if you had said he did it to differenciate the staff from everyone else, I might buy that one.

:thinking: